NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting Course
LESSON ONE (2 hrs) – Classroom
- Course Goals and Objectives
- Shotgun Parts, Action Types and Functions
- NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling
- Demonstration of Safe Shotgun Handling
LESSON TWO (2 hrs) – Classroom
- Shot Shell Components
- Identify Proper Ammunition for a Shotgun
- Demonstrate the Five Fundamentals of Shotgun Shooting
LESSON THREE (2 hrs) – Range
- Demonstration of Safe Shooting Technique
- Shoot Moving Targets Using the Five Fundamentals
- Identify Shotgun Cleaning Materials
- Clean Shotgun Safely
LESSON FOUR (2 hrs) – Range
- Demonstrate Knowledge of the NRA Basic Shotgun Qualification Program
- Demonstrate Progress in Basic Shotgun Skills, and begin Earning ‘Pro-Marksmanship’ Qualification Award
LESSON FIVE (2 hrs) – Classroom
- Identify Several Shotgun Shooting Activities
- Identify Shotgun Selection Criteria
- Identify Shotgun Shooting Organizations
- Complete Course Examination
- 10 Hour Classroom & Range
This course is offered year round as a private lesson at the Raahauges Shooting Enterprises range.
This course teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for the safe and proper use of a shotgun in shooting a moving target. We supply NRA shotgun Basic Shotgun Shooting Course instruction, student packets, shotgun rental, and safety equipment. Ammunition and targets are extra and MUST be purchased at the range. Suggestion – (For those individuals that have not purchased or fired a shotgun before we suggest that you do not purchase one until taking this class. Test them first and decide what type of firearm you like. Then go make your purchase. You would do the same when purchasing a car.)
This course is at least ten-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning how to shoot shotguns at moving targets. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; shotgun parts and operation; shotgun shell components; shotgun shell malfunctions; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting at straight away and angled targets; cleaning; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Shotgun Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet; take a Basics of Shotgun Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 1985, revised 10/08). Upon completion of the class and exam, an NRA Safety certificate will be issued by mail.
If you wish to register for a class, please go to our registration page.
The following forms will need to be printed out and brought with you to the qualification/class:
Please fill out the CA DOJ affidavit and legal contract prior to class.