NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course
LESSON ONE (2 hrs) – Classroom
- Course Goals
- Pistol Parts and Functions
- NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling
- Demonstration of Safe Pistol Handling
LESSON TWO (1 hr) – Classroom
- Cartridge Components
- Firing Sequence
- Ammunition Storage
- Major Types of Cartridge Malfunction
- Fundamentals of Pistol Storage
LESSON THREE (2 hrs) – Range
- Demonstration of Safe Shooting Technique
- Shoot target from Benchrest position
- Identify Pistol Cleaning Materials
- Clean Pistol Safely
LESSON FOUR (2 hrs) – Classroom/Range
- Demonstrate Safe Shooting Technique in Standing Position
- Properly Score Pistol Target
- Explain Basic Guidelines for Purchasing a Pistol
LESSON FIVE (1 hr) – Classroom
- Identify Several Pistol Shooting Activities
- Complete Course Examination
- 8 Hour Classroom & Range
This course is offered year round as a private lesson at two facilities: Raahauges Shooting Enterprises and On-Target Indoor ranges.
This course teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely.
After the classroom portion is concluded student live fires on range for separate fee . The student is responsible for range fees, targets, ammunition, and gun rental (If needed) at the range being used. Each facility offers different handgun rentals. On-Target Indoor Range offers over 50 different models and calibers to rent. Mike Raahauge Shooting Enterprises offers only 2 Glock models to try. Each range will issue hearing and eye protection. Instructor will stay with student at range for up to two hours.
This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling, pistol parts and operation, ammunition, shooting fundamentals, range rules, shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet; take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 2nd edition, 2009). Upon completion of the class and exam, an NRA Safety certificate will be issued by mail.