NRA-NMLRA Basic Muzzle Loading Rifle Shooting Course
LESSON ONE (2 hrs) – Classroom
- Course Goal and Objectives
- History of Muzzleloading Rifles
- Principle Parts of Percussion and Flintlock Rifles
- Demonstration of Safe Muzzleloading Rifle Handling
LESSON TWO (2 hrs) – Classroom
- Blackpowder, its Substitutes and Proper Use
- Safety Procedures for Blackpowder
- Proper Components of a Load
- Procedures and Accessories for Loading Muzzleloading Rifle
LESSON THREE (2 hrs) – Classroom / Range
- Demonstration of Safe Shooting Skill and Attitude for Muzzleloading Rifles
- Shoot target from Benchrest position
- Identify Rifle Cleaning Materials
- Clean Muzzleloading Rifle Safely
LESSON FOUR (2 hrs) – Range
- Causes of Muzzleloading Rifle Failure to Fire and Corrective Procedures
- Demonstrating Firing a Muzzleloading Rifle from the Standing Position
LESSON FIVE (2 hrs) – Range
- Demonstrate Shooting a Muzzleloading Rifle from the Crossed Stick (sitting) position
- Progress in fundamental of firing a shot
LESSON SIX (2 hrs) – Classroom
- Identify Several Ways to Pursue a Shooting Interest
- Use of NRA Muzzleloading Qualifications Program
- Criteria for Selecting Muzzleloading Rifle
- Joining Shooting Groups
- 12-Hour Classroom & Range
This course is offered year round as a private lesson.
Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a muzzle loading rifle. We supply NRA Basic Muzzle Loading Rifle Course class instruction, range fee, safety equipment. We will supply rifle rental, and supplies for an extra $30.00.
The course is 12 hours in length and includes classroom instruction and time on a range shooting a muzzle loading shotgun.
Students learn the NRA’s three rules for safe gun handling; parts; loading; shooting; cleaning; shooting from a standing position and shooting from a crossed stick position; and continued opportunities for skill development.
Students will receive the Muzzle loading Rifle Handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Muzzle loading Student Examination, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 1985, reprint 1-08). Upon completion of the class and exam, an NRA Safety certificate will be issued by mail.