California Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) Program

Effective: January 1, 2015
(Senate Bill 683)

How will I be able to obtain a Firearm Safety Certificate?

To obtain an FSC you must score at least 75% (23 correct answers out of 30 questions) on the FSC Test covering firearm safety and basic firearms laws. The true/false and multiple choice test is given by DOJ Certified Instructors who are generally located at firearms dealerships.

How much will the Firearm Safety Certificate cost?

The fee for taking the FSC Test and obtaining an FSC is twenty-five dollars ($25). The $25 fee entitles you to take the test twice (from the same DOJ Certified Instructor) if necessary.

Are there any minimum qualifications/requirements for a person who wants to take the Firearm Safety Certificate Test?

Yes. The FSC applicant must be at least 18 years of age and must present clear evidence of identity and age by presenting a California Driver License or California Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card.

If I don’t pass the test, can I take it again?

Yes. The $25 fee entitles you to take the test twice if necessary. If you fail the test the first time, after 24 hours have elapsed you may retake another version of the test from the same DOJ Certified Instructor without any additional fee. The DOJ Certified Instructor is required to offer or make available to you the FSC Study Guide or refer you to view the webinar.


For forms and manuals hover over to Contact US –> Forms

How long will a Firearm Safety Certificate be valid?

An FSC will be valid for five (5) years from the date of issuance.

Will I need a Firearm Safety Certificate if I receive a firearm from my mother or father?

Yes. Prior to taking possession of the firearm, you must have a valid FSC. Pursuant to Penal Code section 27875, subdivison (c), within 30 days of the transfer you must also report the acquisition to DOJ on Form BOF 4544, pdf.

Will a Firearm Safety Certificate be required when a firearm is being loaned?

It depends on the specific circumstances. Generally, a person being loaned a firearm must have a current FSC. However, an FSC is not required if the loan does not exceed three days in duration and the person loaning the firearm is at all times within the presence of the person being loaned the firearm.

I am moving into California and intend to bring my firearm(s) with me. Will I need a Firearm Safety Certificate?

No, you do not need an FSC to move into California with your firearm(s). However, pursuant to Penal Code section 17000, there are important personal firearm importation responsibilities that are explained on this website.

Technical issues please send e-mail to Tech support

  • Pay with: